Thursday, January 12, 2012

School, Compton Style

School, Compton style.  Didn't Eric have an amazing last name for a high school guy in the 90s?  I don't think if you were in high school now it would have nearly the same value as it did back then.  In the ciiiitttty, City of Compton.

Well, here's how we keep it rockin' at the Compton house in Salem, Oregon not south central LA.  We homeschool.  If you had told me back in high school days (or even five years ago for that matter) that I would homeschool my kids I am sure I wouldn't have believed you because why would I want my kids to turn out like "homeschool kids."  But, now I wouldn't do it any other way.  I get asked a lot of questions about homeschooling:  why do you do it?  how do you do it?  how do you keep your sanity?  are you allowed to do that? how do you know what to teach them?  how will your kids ever know how to be social?




The why of homeschooling at our house has a simple answer and a complicated one.  The simple answer is:  Jesus has called our family to homeschool.  The complicated answer involves how we know that this is what Jesus has called us to.  There were years of prayer, time in the Word, circumstances lining up, the wisdom of those who had gone before us, and research that led us to our decision.  And, it would take a novel to explain it all.

We love homeschooling our kids.  But loving something doesn't mean it is easy.  Often times, even if something is hard it is good.  And if it is good then it is often hard.  I've been trying to explain that to Marshall.  Math is hard but it is good for counting up all the cash you will make in the NFL.  He's the next Tim Tebow.  Did you know Tim Tebow was homeschooled all the way through high school?





Sometimes it does make me feel like I'm losing my sanity.  Today for example.  Jameson is making the transition from two naps to one.  So, I'm never totally sure if he'll take his morning nap or if he'll just lay in his crib.  And, then if he doesn't take it he is often crabby until he does get his one nap.  And, having Jameson awake makes school difficult.  And, often results in our house looking like Hurricane Jameson hit.  But, I know this is what I'm called to and I know that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)

Jameson's cage (I mean, highchair) during school today


And then there is the social skills question.  Have I wondered panicked, freaked out, cried about how my kids might turn out because we homeschool?  Oh, yeah.  But, we are trusting God that He has our kids in His hands and that He loves them more than we do. That He knows what is best for them and that He knows how He wants them to turn out.  Not that I'm saying they are going to turn out weird.  At the homeschool conference in Portland this past year, an amazing speaker, Heidi St. John (check out the link to her page over on the right "The Busy Homeschool Mom" if you are at all thinking about homeschool - so good), said that if you don't want your kids to be weird then don't be weird yourself . . . your kids will be as weird as you are.  So, pretty much I'm thankful that Eric isn't weird because it should balance the effect I have on them.

No make-up, hair not done, keeping it real for you


Selfishly I just love having my kids with me.  Yes, there are moments where it is hard, frustrating, and I would like to lock myself into a closet and scream into a pillow (not that I've ever done that right?).  But, the good moments make it so worth it.  Like watching Marshall's excitement when he realized that he knew how to read and getting to dance around the room together in celebration.  Like random moments when my kids have questions about Jesus and getting to stop what we are doing and look at God's Word together.  Getting to attempt to bring the Gospel into discipline and point them back to Jesus and the cross over and over again during the day.  Watching friendship develop between all three of my kids as they spend their days together. (oh - and the added benefit of getting to take vacation when we want and avoiding the crowds at say, Disneyland? haha!)



These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.  Deuteronomy 6:6-9


3 comments:

Dana Gay said...

Love this Deuternonomy verse! Love the post. Your kids are so cute :)

Jami Nato said...

girrrrrl, you are so gangster.
props to you. you homeschooling pheeeeeenom!

Jane said...

...i have so much respect for what your heart is saying in these words...