Friday, March 30, 2012

Music We LOVE

Have I mentioned that I love Amy Grant? Well, I do. Honest. Not joking. What? Don't laugh. Not so much the stuff from the 90's and beyond. More like the stuff that she wrote right around the time I was born. Her theology was amazing. El Shaddai, Sing Your Praise to the Lord, Lead Me On. Some of you are going, what in the world is she talking about? Others, like Jen P and Amy L will agree with me whole-heartedly. And, contrary to what Eric would tell you, it is amazing stuff. Amy? Jen? Back me up here sisters. . .

Due to my uh.mazing taste in music, I've had several questions recently about what music our family likes to listen to. Haha! Just kidding . . . I know it is really because Eric is the super-hip music guy.

Anyway . . .  those who have asked aren't asking what Eric and I like. They are asking what we listen to with our kids. Music that qualifies as "kid music." The question has sometimes been What can we tolerate?. This was especially true when Marshall was obsessed with The Wiggles. Luckily we have some options that Eric and I can not just tolerate, but actually like too!

First of all, we have introduced our kids to some adult music that is appropriate for their sweet little ears. For example, Marshall was devastated when we didn't buy him a ticket to see The Avett Brothers. Oops. Both Marshall and Eliza can sing along with The Avett Brothers' version of Spanish Pipedream. Google those lyrics and picture my kids singing them for a good laugh.

My kids also love Mumford, Head and the Heart, Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Willie Nelson (yes Dad, really), Taylor Swift (had to sneak that one in, it makes Eric a little crazy), Jack Johnson, Donovan Frankenreiter, Dropkick Murphys, Mat Kearney, and Hospitality to name a few. (Don't worry - we are careful about which lyrics they hear).

Luckily, we have also been able to find some great kids' music.  We love Seeds Family Worship.



Seeds is a collection of worship songs that are Scripture set to music. Each song is a fun, easy and catchy way to help kids memorize Bible verses. There are currently six albums available with themes like Character, Courage and Praise. (My current obsession is Mighty to Save/Zephaniah 3:17 on the Praise album). And, a seventh album titled Purity is available to pre-order. If you buy the actual CD, rather than purchasing on iTunes, you receive two copies of the CD - one to keep and one to give away to a friend. Love. It.

The other kids' worship that we think is fantabulous are the kids' albums created by Sovereign Grace Music. There are two CDs available: Awesome God and To Be Like Jesus. I may have been known to listen to these in the car without the kids.  And, I will never forget Eliza at two-years-old singing Your love will last forever, it's like a mighty river, that flows and flows forever, never stopping. Your awesome love protects me. When I sin your love corrects me. You're faithful to direct me. Always to Your love. Planting Bible truth in their hearts at such a young age. Three years later she still knows the words by heart.




Finally, I have to add that each of our kids has attended Music Together classes, and they have loved them. Their teacher, Mrs. D. (Johanna Dakopolos), is a celebrity around our house. Jameson just finished his first term, and is already obsessed with guitars. It has been one of the most significant steps in fostering a love of music in each of our kids. We cannot say enough in praise of Johanna and her classes! They have classes all over the U.S. so you can check one out wherever you live.

Okay - now I am going to go clean up the puffs that Jameson spilled all over the kitchen floor while I wrote today. Good thing he is so cute. Hard to be mad at that gap-tooth grin. And, yes, I'm aware you can't see his teeth in this picture. This picture took me about 20 tries though!








1 comment:

Heather | Mom 4 Life said...

Thank you for sharing about "Seeds Family Worship", this looks like a great find!