Saturday, April 7, 2012

Keeping My Promises

Last night, my house was filled with one of my favorite sounds. Laughter and chatting rang through the house. Fourteen of my favorite women gathered in my kitchen. We ate and talked and laughed. and ate and talked. and laughed. We never really left the kitchen, actually.

After a long winter, some of us West Valley girls decided that a girls' night was in order. Five minute conversations before and after church on Sundays are not enough. Between sick kids, traveling, and other commitments it seems there are some women who haven't seen each other in months! I am so thankful that I fellowship with these women, that they are part of my church family.  Some of them are new friends. Others are women who I've known for several years. But, I never cease to be amazed at the beauty of the Lord working in their lives. Each time I visit with any of them bits and pieces of their individual stories come out. Funny stories from the past, the journey they've walked thus far, current and past struggles, victories, losses, amazing twists and turns that have brought them to where they are right now. Thank you ladies of West Valley for such a fun evening!

My evening with these ladies also included keeping a promise to all of you blog readers. This promise was easy to keep. Because it involved me getting to eat chocolate cake. My favorite chocolate cake of all time. Chocolate Kahlua Cake, covered in chocolate ganache. Please gaze upon this object of beauty.



I wish I could claim this recipe as some concoction that I just whipped up on my own. But I have to give credit to Demarle -- the Silpat company. I sold their product via home parties for about five minutes a few years back. Haha. What was I thinking? Home parties are so much work. But, the product is awesome. And I do know a really fabulous rep  here in Salem who is currently selling Demarle. I am just not selling it myself. However . . . my brief career with the company landed me a crazy collection of their cooking gear and fabulous recipes. Chocolate Kahlua Cake was one of them. Try it some time. Eat it warm. With warm ganache. LOVE.


Chocolate Kahlua Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Cake:
1 package Betty Crocker chocolate fudge cake mix
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Kahlua
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Optional:  Slice strawberries
Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Cake:  Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, Kahlua, and oil.  Beat with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes.  Do not over mix.  Only mix until ingredients are blended.  Stir in chocolate chips with a spatula.  Pour batter into bundt pan.  Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool.  

Ganache:  When ready to serve cake, in a saucepan bring whipping cream to a boil  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips.  Pour immediately over cake and serve.  

Optional:  Fill the middle of the bundt cake with sliced strawberries before serving.

1 comment:

Susie said...

This is one of our favs! Aunt Kathy put it in a book for us! Yum yum :)